Academically qualified students from foreign countries are encouraged to apply for admission to Charleston Southern University. Applicants must be sufficiently proficient in English to be able to study entirely in the English language. The following must be sent to the Enrollment Services Office in addition to the admission materials for the graduate program*:
1. Official Bank Statement
2. Official Course-by-Course transcript evaluation of all previously attended colleges or universities. (Official English translations must accompany transcripts and any document in a language other than English.) All documents must be either official or certified copies of officials. Any student who attended a non- American college/university outside of the U.S. must have their transcripts evaluated by World Education Services, Inc. or another accredited member of NACES. (See admissions application packet for approved agencies)
3. Confirmed English proficiency is required, if English is not your native language. CSU will accept the following minimum scores from these English Proficiency Exams:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): 71 (internet-based)
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): 6.0
- Pearson Test of English (Academic): 51
- iTEP (International Test of English Proficiency): 3.7
- SAT (Evidence Based Reading and Writing): 530
Official exam scores/transcripts must be sent directly to the Enrollment Services Office from the testing agency/institution. Only official copies from the testing service/institution will be considered.
CSU may conditionally admit international students without a TOEFL score if they have successfully completed and graduated from an approved Intensive English Program. The international student must have completed an approved Intensive English Program at a minimum level equivalent to a score of 71 on an internet-based TOEFL. All Intensive English Programs must be accredited by CEA (Commission on English Language Program Accreditation) or ACCET (Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training). For a list of approved Intensive English Programs, contact the International Student Enrollment Counselor in CSU’s Admissions Office.
4. International Student Eligibility Form
Due to Immigration and Naturalization Service requirements and the necessity of having transcripts evaluated, the deadline for admission applications from international students is one calendar month prior to “registration day” (according to the CSU Academic Calendar) of the academic term of entry.
Applications received after the deadline may be considered for a future entry term if the applicant desires. Students are required to have their academic transcript(s) evaluated by an outside agency prior to admissions acceptance. All fees for these services are paid by the student directly to the party or agency providing them. You may call The Graduate School for more information.
Students entering Charleston Southern University must assume full financial responsibility for tuition and charges incurred. In the event a student is being sponsored by an individual or company, an Affidavit of Support and supporting financial documents must be submitted by the sponsor on behalf of the student. After issuance of Form I-20 A-B and prior to the drop/add deadline of the respective term, an advance cash deposit is required to be on file within the business office in the amount of the total cost of the term, including any necessary insurance premium. Otherwise Charleston Southern University reserves the right to deny the student attendance for that term.
For additional admissions requirements, please click on the school/college of your choice on the right.
*The Physician Assistant Studies Program has its own International Student Admissions requirements.